The Guildhall School of Music & Drama is seeking to appoint an English Language Tutor, on a 0.1 fraction (3.5 hours per week) contract (42 weeks / year). English Language Tutor (0.1 fraction / 3.5 hours per week position)
1 year fixed term contract from September 2020
Salary range: £35,090 - £39,680 including Inner London Weighting per annum pro rata
The Guildhall School of Music & Drama is seeking to appoint an English Language Tutor, on a 0.1 fraction (3.5 hours per week) contract (42 weeks / year).
The role of the tutor is:
• To provide weekly term-time classes to small groups of music students (undergraduate and postgraduate) who do not speak English as their first language. These sessions will cover reading, writing, comprehension, conversation and grammar, with a particular emphasis on matters relevant to music students.
• To offer drop-in sessions to students who would like help with written coursework drafts.
• To advise other members of staff regarding English levels of overseas applicants, and to give advice to applicants at open days and auditions where possible.
• To certify the English ability of overseas applicants in relation to School and UK Visas and Immigration requirements.
• To liaise with staff about student progress and support.
• To attend occasional relevant meetings, provide data and feedback using the School's mechanisms and integrate with School business.
Candidates must have a qualification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language; recent relevant teaching experience in higher education is desirable, as is a background in studying music at higher-education level.
Successful candidates will be required to start in September 2020; the contract is in the first instance for one year. The role is for 42 weeks per year, working during the School’s teaching terms and some weeks over the summer vacation period. Teaching is more intensive during the winter and spring terms and then reduces over the summer term and vacation.
Closing date for applications: Monday, 18th May 2020, 12pm.
Interviews are likely to be held during the week of 25th May 2020
Teaching in UK
- Salary: £35,090 - £39,680 including Inner London Weighting per annum pro rata
- Level 5 TEFL certificate
- Fluent in English: Qualification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- Bachelor’s Degree: Degree in music
- Teaching Experience: Recent experience of teaching at HE level