Red tape and the ESL teacher

Red tape and the ESL teacher
1 answers
In fact, real red tape was used in the early 16th century by the Spanish administration of Charles V. It was used to bind important dossiers that required the attention of the Council of State. Rope was used for all other routine administrative dossiers. Since most trainee and novice ESL teachers will be heading abroad, here are a few tips about those documents that you will generally need in order to be able to deal with the red tape and thus seamlessly apply for an overseas TEFL post. Don’t forget, make sure your documents in order, the onus is on you.Normally, as a trainee or novice ESL teacher, you must make sure that you have the following documents before you make any job applications or approach an embassy for a visa: (1) a valid passport; (2) your TEFL certificate(s); (3) a criminal records bureau (CRB) check; (4) at least two spare passport photos; (4) a current curriculum vitae; (CV); and (5) academic references. If you have any queries relating to documents, visas, or procedures, always contact the embassy of the country you intend to teach in, the embassy will always be able to help you.If you don’t have a valid passport, then you should apply for one well before you decide to apply for an overseas post. Always apply directly to the government website: .  Avoid copycat sites: they will charge a fee just for completing your application form – but you will still have to send it to the passport office and pay the full fee for the issue of a passport.An individual CRB can be obtained from the CRB site. You will need to request an ‘individual CRB check’: it’s a quick procedure that can be done online in about five minutes. For those of you who intend to remain in your own country, you will normally only require the following documents when applying for an ESL teaching post: (1) your TEFL certificate(s); (2) a current curriculum vitae (CV); and (3) academic references. You will also be required to provide some form of proof of identity: this can be provided by means of a driving licence or a passport. The CRB check is normally carried out by the potential employer, for which you may be charged a fee.Although red tape can be an irksome experience, by having the correct documents and patiently following the requisite procedures, you will achieve what you have set out to do; indeed, you may even become a bit of an expert and thereby be able to help your colleagues.

Your TEFL journey starts here! Fancy teaching English as a foreign language around the world?

Great! You’re in the right place. The TEFL Academy provides the very best in accredited TEFL courses, meaning your qualification is recognised throughout the world. The TEFL Academy is the world's leading TEFL course provider. We can help you acquire the skills needed to teach English as a foreign language, whether you choose the Online Level 3, Online Level 5 or Combined Level 5 version of our TEFL course. Unsure which is the best TEFL option for you? See our TEFL courses compared page for an instant breakdown of course specifics.

Get social!

Follow us on social networks, join our newsletter mailing - get the latest news and early discounts

Accreditation partners