Red tape for ESL teachers in Mexico

Red tape for ESL teachers in Mexico
1 answers
ESL teachers would normally apply for the “Visitor Authorised to Conduct Lucrative Activities Visa” (VACLA), which is valid for 180 days and can be extended for up to five years. Once you have obtained an ESL post, you will be able teach for a continuous period of 180 days and then renew it for a further 180 days. Succinctly, a VACLA visa will allow you to work for up to 180 days for a Mexican ESL school, but approval will be required from the Instituto Nacional de Migración (Inicio), and the VACLA visa must be obtained prior to entering Mexico.ESL teachers should not travel to Mexico hoping to get a VACLA visa. The application has to be done at the Mexican embassy or consulate in your country. It is no longer possible to apply for a visa in Mexico: visit (Incidentally, this is not the easiest of sites to navigate). When applying for your visa, you will also be required to prove that you have $1,000 Mexican dollars in your bank account. You should also contact the embassy before applying so as to ensure that you have all the necessary documents. However, before you rush to apply for a visa, first make sure that you have secured a job.Once your ESL school has made you a job offer, you should submit a copy of their letter of confirmation of employment along with a “proof of registry” document: this is a confirmation that the school has the legal right to hire foreign nationals. Here is a list of some of the additional documents (make several photocopies of all documents) that you will require for the VACLA visa application process:1. A passport 2. Passport-sized photographs (taken by a professional photographer)3. A letter from your bank (bearing the bank’s letterhead) that states there is at least $1,000 Mexican dollars in your account4. Bank statements covering the last six months’ transactions 5. A completed visa application form6. Visa application fee – which must be in cash 7. Birth certificate8. TEFL qualification(s)WARNING     Over the past two years, Mexico has introduced new immigration rules, and visa procedures; thus, you should ignore information on websites dated before November, 2012. As this article is only a brief guide, keep up to date by checking with the Mexican embassy in your country.

Your TEFL journey starts here! Fancy teaching English as a foreign language around the world?

Great! You’re in the right place. The TEFL Academy provides the very best in accredited TEFL courses, meaning your qualification is recognised throughout the world. The TEFL Academy is the world's leading TEFL course provider. We can help you acquire the skills needed to teach English as a foreign language, whether you choose the Online Level 3, Online Level 5 or Combined Level 5 version of our TEFL course. Unsure which is the best TEFL option for you? See our TEFL courses compared page for an instant breakdown of course specifics.

Get social!

Follow us on social networks, join our newsletter mailing - get the latest news and early discounts

Accreditation partners