What are My TEFL Options without a Degree?

Join a global community of over 100,000 TEFL teachers working throughout the world! Enrol me!

If you’re interested in teaching English abroad you probably know that many TEFL jobs prefer their candidates to have two things: a TEFL certificate from a recognised TEFL provider and a Bachelor’s degree. However, the key word here is prefer. While a TEFL certificate is a non-negotiable, a degree is not essential to getting a TEFL job.  Yes, you heard right: you DO NOT need a degree to teach English as a Foreign Language. It is a nice-to-have but not a must-have. So, what are your TEFL options without a degree?

Private tutoring

The most obvious option is to be a private tutor. Teaching 1-on-1 means that your students can decide if they are happy to have you as their teacher or not. Usually the fact that you don’t have a degree won’t be an issue at all. After all, having a degree does not necessarily relate to being a good teacher. What will be important to your students is that you can speak English fluently and that you have a TEFL certificate. Teaching experience would be an added bonus.

What are My TEFL Options without a Degree?

Teaching in Mexico, Cambodia or Turkey

Believe it or not there are a number of countries which don’t require you to have a degree to teach. The requirement for a degree is more often than not a government stipulation for a working visa, but there are a few countries which don’t have this requirement. Jobs in many countries in Latin and South America are available to teachers without a degree, as well as Cambodia and Turkey in Asia, and Spain in Europe.

Volunteer teaching

If money is not an issue for you and you’re more interested in the experience of teaching English than the financial gain, then you could look into volunteer teaching. Volunteer teaching positions are not fussy about the qualifications of their teachers because, well, they’re volunteer positions. While you may not get paid, you will probably get food and board or a stipend to live off, not to mention the experience.

A TEFL internship

If you have just qualified as a TEFL teacher, an internship is a great idea for you. Doing an internship will give you the experience of living abroad and teaching English as a Foreign Language, without the hassle of finding a job and organizing a work visa. For this reason, TEFL internships don’t require you to have a degree.

Teaching English online

Teaching English online is a booming business at the moment. There are loads of companies you can work for or you could work for yourself. Obviously working for yourself means you don’t need to worry about a degree, and while some online companies do require a degree there are quite a few that don’t.

Though there are more jobs on offer to you if you have a TEFL certificate and a degree, there are still loads of options available if you don’t. The key to finding a job teaching English as a Foreign Language abroad if you don’t have a degree is to make sure you have a 120-hour TEFL course from a recognised TEFL provider. If you can, get some experience under your belt. Then you will need to decide which avenue you want to follow in terms of teaching.

If you are dead-set on teaching English abroad in a school or language school or university, don’t despair, your TEFL options without a degree are wider than you think. If you don’t have a degree you just need to be a bit pickier when choosing your destination and it may take a bit longer to find a job. But don’t give up hope, because your dream TEFL job is out there waiting for you!

Xané Cleophas says

I would like to be apart of this journey

Nomfundo Ngcobo says

I would like to teach English online, however I don’t have a degree or matric but I’m very fluent in English and would appreciate this opportunity. I was just hoping to find out if I can qualify

Sedi Mmono says

Hi
My education goes as far as a IGCSE certificate. I have some experience in tertiary but it’s not completed. what are my options?

Michelle Fred says

Good evening,

I would like to find out where i can search for prospective jobs. I have registered on a few sites and based on the information i have recieved it is acceptable to just have tefl without a degree but when looking at Visa requirements for countries other than asia t is really challenging to find work. I have been advised to look into the internship which you need to pay for and they offer the TEFL course which doesn’t make sense if i already have it. Your assistance would be highly appreciated.

Vejeand says

Good evening.
I have a Graphic Design Diploma -First Class.
It is SAQA regulated.
I would like to to do a paid internship or teach full time.
Thank you.

Nicholas says

Where do I find online agencies I can tutor for?

Lona says

I’m very much interested

Rushana says

Hi, I would like to apply for your internship. I’m very fluent in English so I’m positive about taking the TEFL course.

Constance says

Hi there .I would love to teach English abroad but i am Zimbanwean.i do not have a degree but i speak fluent English and i have my high school certificates .I ddnt further my studies into tertiary due to so financial hiccups on the way.I work as an au pair in South Africa my duties include helping the kids with their homework and entertaining them with educational activities.My question would be would I be eligible?

SHERIAH says

i would like to teach English online . How do i go about this .

Emeleo says

Good day I’m doing my tefl certificate but I don’t have a Degree is there recruitment Agencies in China that accepts Tefl teachers without degrees?

Linda Bredenkamp says

I want to teach English online, I have completed my TEFl 160 Advanced course with another institution that is not TEFL Academy, can you still help me with what I can do to teach Im done with my third year of my teaching degree, Im yet to do my fourth and final year in 2020, but I need to start teaching online ASAP ,but Im open to going abroad, can you help me with any advice

Rose-Maree Lamprecht says

I would love to be a TEFL English teacher for youngsters ages 4-6.
I am a loving person and I don’t see working with children as a job because it is my passion.
I have 30 y experience working with preschoolers and I do mental stimulation and childcare training as well.